Home » Inspiration » Always thank your Nurse – sometimes they’re the only one between you and a hearse!

international nurses

I had minimal exposure to nurses throughout the first 55 years of my life.  I did spend a night in hospital when I was 16 having been knocked unconscious in the boxing ring. Bar the odd mandatory injection, I avoided both boxing and nurses for many years after that.

You may remember I discussed how my cancer was diagnosed following a fairly innocuous conversation at my GP’s Surgery in May 2010, see blog post Diagnosis – I’m no longer in control’.  That nurse was professional, thorough and she clearly went the extra mile for her patients.  Liz is now on my Christmas card list with pressie as a reminder to her of my grateful thanks for sending me down a different path in the game of chance that is life.  I often wonder where I would be now had she not ordered the ‘just to be sure’ blood test that ended up being the trigger for my eventual diagnosis of metastatic Neuroendocrine Cancer.  Perhaps she was the thing between me and a hearse?

Following that episode, I have since met many Nurses (male and female) and my respect for them knows no bounds.  I spent around 35 nights in hospital over the period Jul 10 – Feb 12 and most of my memories involve something a nurse has done to help me.

It was a nurse that:

• held my hand when I was in real pain and discomfort during a liver biopsy

• met me on each hospital stay and put my mind at rest with their caring nature and big smiles

• brought me my medicine when it was due 24 hours per day

• carried out observations on me when they were due 24 hours per day

• washed me when I was in no position to do anything for myself

• got me out of bed when I was not able to do it myself

• washed my feet and changed my hospital socks when it was still too sore to bend down after surgery

• did a hundred other things I could list, some of them not very nice jobs

I still depend on them today!  Every 28 days, I rely on them to give me my anti-tumour treatment and a Nurse is always on the end of a phone if I need to speak.  And I just love it when I see a specialist or a consultant and there is a Nurse also present.  It makes me feel safer, more comfortable and I’m likely to ask more questions.

So – to all nurses out there, a big thanks from the bottom of my heart ♥  Not a hearse in sight!

Ronny Allan

I’m also active on Facebook.  Like my page for even more news.

1. Coral says:

Reblogged this on BEYOND THE CHALLENGES OF LIFE and commented:
    It is not easy for many of us to ask for “Help!” Nurses help even when we are not able to ask for it.

This post is a great read by blogger, Ronny Allan, who also lives with Neuroendocrine Tumours (NETs) — I spelled it the British way on his behalf. 🙂

In this post, he shares his admiration and thankfulness to the nurses who have assisted him on his journey. To all the nurses who have helped me, AND put up with me, I echo Ronny’s words. THANK YOU, ALL!!

2. […] Source: Always thank your Nurse – sometimes they’re the only one between you and a hearse! […]

3. Reblogged this on Kath Lewis and commented:
    Another great blog from Ronny Allan paying tribute to all the fantastic nurses out there, keeping us going from day to day

4. […] Source: Always thank your Nurse – sometimes they’re the only one between you and a hearse! […]

5. They are our backbone, and wonderful people.

6. Reblogged this on Tony Reynolds Blog and commented:
    Ronny has posted a number of blogs as attempts to raise cancer awareness in the run up to Chris his wife and him walking Hadrian’s Wall to raise funds for a cancer charity. Ronny is a close friend of almost 40 years, who has cancer yet is determined to turn something negative into a positve by highlighting his experiences and research he has carried out. The fact that he is a Scot and lives in Ringwood, is iceing on the cake and he also has a sound sense of humour that echos through his blogs. Please feel free to rebroadcast the blogs to as many people as possible, to increase awareness.

7. Stephen Holt says:

spot on Ronnie, great tribute to all Nurses they are wonderful people

8. Bernie Rigby says:

Once again a great blog. Thank you for saying a thank you to these fab people for all of us. You are spot on once again. luv to you both xx

9. John Allan says:

I look forward to my daily email to read your blog. I have great respect for you having learned from your blog everything that you have gone through. Respect to my big brother.

10. Stephen McKechnie says:

Nurses – another great blog Ronny and you have made a public thanks on behalf of many. Well done.